15 March 2010

10. 'Flashforward' - Robert J. Sawyer

To be entirely honest, I have very little to say about Flashforward. It was a relatively quick read, though I had a very difficult time staying interested in it. I was never interested in science while I was in school... didn't even bother taking physics since my high school offered me the opportunity to take college biology instead and that might have hindered my ability to actually understand Sawyer's work. I generally adore sci-fi... but in this case, there was just too much sci going on for me to stay involved.

There were some interesting characters, so I'll give him that much. I really found myself worrying about the fate of Theo, the younger lab assistant that helped to bring about the phenomena in the first place. He didn't receive a vision and then discovered that he was going to be murdered... so I spent the better portion of the book wondering if he was going to find a way to save himself. I didn't truly care about any of the other characters which tends to be a problem when you're reading fiction. The story just didn't stay with me. Generally, my memory tends to be exceptional when it comes to things that I've read, but I just didn't care enough to bother committing any of it to mind. I've heard the television show is decent and very loosely based on the novel, so I might give that a chance. I'd actually prefer a little mystery since it was all explained a little too quickly for my taste... and it was hard to be interested in mysteries that were going to span two decades anyway. I like the neat little six month package the television show offers.

It's a quick read overall, but nothing that I would actually recommend. There are better sci-fi novels out there to spend time on. Thankfully, this was just a library rental anyway.

Rating: 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment